Danielle Scott- Haughton created the successful ‘Dear Jesus’ web series which focuses on a young fashion journalist ‘Mercedes’, whose life falls apart and who writes prayers to Jesus on her laptop. Daniel Scott-Haughton gives her 5 top tips for creating a successful web series. Click here to buy tickets for this invaluable seminar: Producing a Web Series on Saturday 4th July at 14:00
- STOP WAITING FOR PERFECT CONDITIONS. Bishop TD Jakes’ words apply to all areas of life as well as your filmmaking career. It is never going to be the right time to write your script, to expand your team, to grow your social media presence- just get started.
- BE CONSISTENT. So, you’ve got past that very loud, very awful voice telling you it’s not the right time and you’ve completed your first short film or the first series of your web series! Well done! Now you have to do it again. And again. And again! Independent filmmaking is not a sprint, it’s a marathon. Keep going, you’ll only get better.
- GET UP AFTER YOU FALL DOWN! Something really embarassing has happened, somehow you’ve managed to let down the team you’ve managed to grow and your wonderful cast and you’ve done it in front of press. It’s really appealing to crawl into a dark hole and stay there for a year, but you don’t have time for that, time is precious. Get up! As long as you aren’t making the same mistake over and over again. You’re fine! This is part of the process.
- CONCENTRATE ON YOURSELF : So your peers (who you now know very well because you’ve been networking) are winning awards, television contracts and distribution deals? Celebrate them then immeduately get back to your own work. It’s so easy to spend copious amounts of time analysing what they’ve done in the hopes that you can emulate it and gain their success. But it doesn’t work like that. Your journey is as unique as you are. Your glories and successes will unfold as they’re meant to.
- SOCIAL MEDIA IS YOUR FRIEND : Experiment with different strategies until you find one that agrees with you and then use that to push your film or series. Learn about the optimal times to send tweets and post to facebook and send instagrams. Social media can be as effective or ineffective as you make it. You are in control.